Western Academy of Beijing is looking for Educational iT sofware Project Manager who is responsible for the planning, coordination, requirements gathering, school section analysis, specifications development, project planning, project monitoring, and project status reporting and system implementation of moderate to complex IT software solutions. An inital 2-year contract will be offered starting latest August 1, 2019 but ideally in April/ May 2019. The contract is subject to further renewal and a competitive expatriate package will be provided. Please refer to detailed job description below. Interested applicants should submit applications hereby. The application deadline is March 1st, 2019
Job Responsibilities: （For specific Project context, objectives and time schedule, refer to exhibit 1）
- Partners with the school sections to understand key success factors, critical needs and what is needed to make the school unit successful. Evaluates needs and provides technical solutions. Seeks opportunities to increase faculty and student satisfaction and deepen relationships with senior administrators.
- Manages projects using proven Software Development Life Cycle processes, procedures and tools to include planning, coordinating all project activities, project status meetings, system specifications design and review, technical review, system testing, system implementation, post implementation review.
- Manages a project team with 5-10 members most on part time basis and manages an outside software vendor.
- Develops and maintains detailed project plans. Responsible for reporting project status to School Senior Leadership, project sponsor and other key leaders as needed.
- Responsible for appropriate administration, faculty and supplier involvement throughout the project.
- Provides day-to-day project coordination, planning and implementation of projects in scope
- Responsible for collecting, understanding and documenting school section requirements and translating those into functional and system design specifications.
- Works with the Senior Leadership Team on long term strategies to better use technology and to promote / champion process improvement and simplification initiatives.
- Work with software development to review / understand requirements and specifications for technical design, obtain information on system capabilities, limitations and performance requirements.
- Ability to lead and motivate people and encourage teamwork, an ability to communicate effectively with senior leadership, and a clear vision of what determines a successful product for the faculty and for the school and school sections.
- Have the courage to face up to issues squarely and early, resolve conflicts, admit to having problems and seek coaching openly, escalate if necessary, and generally champion the people and the project up, down, and across the school and with faculty.
- Manage a 5-10 mill RMB project development budget
- Participate in outside professional activities to maintain knowledge on developments in the field. Establish liaisons with schools, universities and other comparable vendor users to keep abreast of status of computing and communications activities at these schools and institutions.
- Provide of profession development/ training to users in collaboration with system vendor especially within key areas of curriculum development, learning experience development, assessment.
Project manager's Role and Responsibilities – details
- Define the project management process to be applied to the project.
- Understand Core Team Members capabilities
- Prepare project plan and obtain management approval of the project plan.
- Assure that all team members understand their roles and accept their responsibilities
- Apply project resources according to the approved project plan.
- Analyse risk and instigate avoidance activities. Establish contingency plans and identify trigger events and responsibility for initiating corrective action.
- Track and report on progress to plan.
- Analyse the actual performance against the plan and make adjustments consistent with plan objectives.
- Keep all stakeholders informed of progress and issues.
- Involve functional expertise in design reviews and key decisions as well as risk strategies.
- Assure timely adaptive action is taken.
- Manage change to preserve plan commitments and evaluate if objectives must change.
- Negotiate the performance of activities with team members and their managers.
- Establish and publish clear priorities among project activities.
- Coordinate management and technical decisions.
- Arbitrate and resolve conflict and interface problems within the project.
- Provide input on the performance of project team members to their supervisors.
- Master level degree, MBA preferred. BSEE, BSCS, or related degree required
- PMP Certification preferredSix Sigma Black Belt certification a plus
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a Project Leader, Project Manager type position
- Minimum 10 years’ IT related experience, previous management experience required
- Proven Project Leader experience encompassing large critical projects
- Proven analysis / design experience encompassing large complex critical projects
- Previous experience with large software development / implementation / client server projects
- Prior software design and development experience preferred
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft SQL, and Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Project
Western Academy of Beijing (WAB) is a progressive K-12 international school in Beijing, serving 1400 students from 51 different countries. We are a forward-looking community in the process of improving all our systems and structures to ensure the highest-quality learning experience for each learner in our community.
WAB seeks a firm to redesign our technology systems into a multifaceted, multiuser learning management system that will accommodate users from early years to high school. We've looked far and wide for an off the shelf solution, without success. As we move forward, we are looking for a bespoke solution that can keep pace with our changes and needs for delivering highly individualized learning experiences for all our students. We have an ambitious plan to transform education and need a technology system to support our non-conventional plan. We would suggest "LMS" does not really capture all that we will need our system to do, but it is a starting point. Our thinking and plans can be found here, future of learning at WAB (FLoW21).
This document identifies a features list sought by WAB. However, additional information deemed relevant by firms can be included. This document also identifies information that will be required at the implementation stage. For short-listed firms, the proposal must suggest ways in which to advance WAB’s multi-year journey: To more perfectly realize our mission and core values by better meeting the learning and developmental needs of every student in our community.
Western Academy of Beijing: www.wab.edu
Learn more about FLoW21 here: www.wab.edu/flow21/blog
Introduction - Objectives and purpose
WAB needs a ‘one-stop-shop’ integrated online system that enables the following aspects of FLoW21:
Competency based progression: Track individual progression of competencies.
Co-constructed and personally relevant curriculum: All stakeholders can access the curriculum. Students will contribute to the design of their own learning pathways through the essential curriculum.
Adaptive support network for all learners: All stakeholders can access and book time with the various support services available in the school. The system will hold private confidential information with access limited only to relevant individuals.
Learning spaces: All stakeholders can book a room/space for learning and meeting from inside and outside the school, request participants, view availability, display availability of room based on specific needs/requirements, easily identify special events.
Currently, we are using a wide range of systems and products, both third party and developed in-house, to meet different teaching and learning and administrative needs
The timeline for the project is as follows:
May 2019 – Vendor Company contracted
June 2019 – July 2020 – Development of solution and prototyping
August 2020 – December 2020 – Initial implementation to small groups
January 2021 – June 2021 – Implementation to expanded groups
August 2021 - Roll out to all school sections