HS MYP ELA & Language Support
We are looking for a creative and inspiring teacher to teach MYP English Language Aquisition and to provide support at the grades 9 and 10 level for EAL students in WAB High School. This post may also include DP Language B, depending on student numbers.
The English Language Acquisition teacher is responsible to the HS Head of EAL for implementing the language acquisition curriculum, assessment and reporting processes. The teacher will work collaboratively with other department members and support teachers as needed to develop common unit plans, effective lesson plans and assessment strategies congruent with WAB's assessment guidelines and curriculum. The teacher will, whenever appropriate, employ an inquiry-based approach and differentiate lessons to support the learning styles of individual students. The teacher is expected to contribute to the extra curricula activities of the school and be involved in school development.
The successful candidate is able to establish effective working relationships with staff, students and parents and has a sound understanding of contemporary teaching and learning theories and practice in language aquisition education. The successful candidate has at least Bachelor level studies in suitable area and a recognized Teaching Qualification. In addition, we require a minimum of two years of post-qualification working experience. Experience working with EAL students and MYP and DP programmes is preferred.
The placement commences 1 August 2019. The initial contract is offered for two years subject to renewal. Please apply by following the link and submitting all the required documentation.
Position: Grade 9-12 English B (IBMYP, IBDP) and EAL Support Teacher
School Section: High School
Period of Appointment: 1 August 2019 to 31 July 2021 (subject to renewal)
Teachers at WAB:
- Understand WAB's mission statement, core values and philosophy, and actively work to promote them
- Contribute to activities which enhance the life of the school community;
- Demonstrate an ongoing developing knowledge and engagement with China as WAB's host country;
- Participate in school wide and section specific school improvement initiatives;
- Follow the Essential Agreements for parent communication and attend parent teacher conferences as required.
Appraisal of teaching at WAB is based on the following Professional Performance Standards
Planning, Classroom Strategies and Behavior:
- Plans collaboratively with colleagues:
- Establishes and maintains good communication with colleagues and leadership
- Fosters respect, credibility and competence with colleagues and school community
- Plans and delivers units and lessons according to WAB's curriculum and student needs.
- Demonstrates knowledge of relevant curriculum, and of contemporary teaching and learning and assessment theory
- Reflects on teaching and student learning outcomes to support continuing development
- Creates an environment of mutual respect and understanding
- Organizes a safe physical environment
- Establishes a classroom environment that encourages student participation
- Engages students in learning through a challenging and inspiring classroom environment
- Establishes high expectations that inspire students and promote learning
- Inspires students to use their knowledge to make a difference in their community
- Uses a range of assessment and feedback strategies
- Effectively manages student behavior
- Recognizes and supports diversity among individuals and groups
- Engages and challenges all students to develop skills of life-long learners
- Identifies own areas of strengths and weaknesses and writes a growth and development plan
- Documents progress towards growth and development plan
- Connects with colleagues to enhance learning within the WAB community
The successful applicant is expected to have the following skills, abilities, knowledge, experience and qualifications:
Personal Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to connect with students, staff and parents, establishing effective collaborative working relationships with each group.
- Ability to communicate effectively, taking into account EAL community members
- Skills in working with a range of students of different abilities and backgrounds
- Skills in teaching inquiry
- Ability to integrate appropriate technologies into the curriculum
Knowledge and application of:
- Contemporary teaching and learning theories and practice in language aquisition, including differentiation and inquiry
- Collaborative planning techniques
- English language learning plus MYP English Language Acquisition and/or IB DP English B
- As a full-time English and/or Support teacher in an EAL classroom setting
- Working with a diverse range of students including those with EAL, learning support and enrichment needs preferred
- Teaching IB MYP and/or IB DP preferred
- Completed IB MYP and/or IB DP workshop preferred
- Teaching Qualification
- Bachelor of English degree and training in EAL