MS MYP Mathematics Teacher
We are looking for an energetic and inspiring MS MYP Mathematics/Sciences teacher.
The MS MYP Mathematics/Sciences Teacher reports to the Mathematics/Sciences Head of Department, and is expected to work with the Mathematics and Sciences Departments, as well as with his/her Grade Level Team, planning closely and attending collaborative planning sessions. The MS MYP Mathematics/Sciences Teacher must use an inquiry-based approach and differentiate through various strategies. The MS MYP Mathematics/Sciences Teacher is expected to keep parents informed and attend parent teacher conferences, as required.
The MS MYP Mathematics/Sciences teacher is expected to have a Homeroom/Personal & Social Education (advisory) class and to participate fully in the PSE program.
The MS MYP Mathematics/Sciences teacher is expected to contribute to the extra curricula activities of the school.
The placement commences 1 August 2020. The initial contract is offered for two years subject to renewal. Further details can be found in the below Job Description.
Position: MYP Mathematics & Sciences Teacher
School Section: Middle School (MS)
Period of Appointment: August 2020 to July 2022 (subject to renewal)
Role Description / Working Relationships
The Mathematics & Sciences teacher is responsible to the Mathematics & Sciences Head of Department for implementing the MYP Mathematics & Sciences curricula, assessment and reporting process.
The Mathematics & Sciences teacher is expected to work with the Mathematics & Sciences Department as well as with his/her Grade Level Team, planning closely, attending collaborative planning sessions and co-teaching where appropriate. The Mathematics & Sciences teacher must use an MYP inquiry-based approach and must offer individualized learning opportunities.
As is the case with all MS teachers, the Mathematics & Sciences teacher is expected to:
- Keep parents informed of student progress and achievemen
- Attend parent-student-teacher conferences as part of the reporting cycle
- Have a Homeroom/Personal & Social Education (PSE) class and participate fully in all PSE activities
- Be actively involved in school development
- Contribute to extra-curricular activities
- Participate fully in the China Studies residential trips
- Ensure student safety by performing supervisory duties at selected breaks and lunchtimes
The successful applicant is expected to have the following skills, abilities, knowledge and experience:
1. Personal Skills and Abilities
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with staff, students and parents
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing with students and parents from varied backgrounds
- Skills in working with a range of students of different abilities and backgrounds
- Ability to integrate technology across the curriculumEmpathy for, and understanding of, students with a wide range of abilities. Interests, styles and levels of language proficiencyAbility to collaborate with support services team members (Learning Support, Enrichment, Teacher-Librarian, Nurses, Counselors, Speech & Language, English as Additional Language Specialists, and IT Integrators) to support all students
- Ability to facilitate a variety of learning experiences to meet the needs of all learners
- Willingness to commit to WAB Professional Performance Standards
- A sound understanding of contemporary teaching and learning theories and practice related to both Mathematics and Sciences education
- A sound understanding of collaborative planning strategiesA strong knowledge of differentiation strategies
- A range of intervention strategies for maximizing the learning of a wide range of learning styles and abilities
- Recent MS homeroom experience
- Successful experience as a Mathematics & Sciences teacher (in an MYP classroom preferred)
- Some experience in a leadership position and willingness to consider a leadership post in the future (preferred)
- Qualification in the teaching of both Mathematics and Sciences (preferred)Commitment to professional development
- Qualified teacher statusMYP training (preferred)
PROFESSIONAL PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
Educators at WAB are required to participate in the Professional Performance process and to demonstrate a willingness to commit to WAB's Professional Performance standards (see below).
- Plans collaboratively with colleagues
- Plans and delivers units and lessons according to the curriculum and students’ needs
- Creates an environment of mutual respect and understanding
- Engages students in learning through a challenging and inspiring classroom environment
- Uses a range of assessment and feedback strategies
- Manages student behavior
- Identifies own specific areas of strength and weaknesses across the standards to write a growth and development plan
- Documents progress relative to his or her growth and development plan
- Connects with colleagues to enhance learning within the WAB community